Welcome to MikeAndKaren.org
- October 9 to 21: Eating our way through Paris and the eastern Loire Valley.
- October 5: PG&E sends out a crew to reconnect our power pole transformer to the high voltage line after the wind blew the connecting wire out of its tiepoint
- August 6: Antique Radio Flea Market, put on by the CHRS at Foothill College
- April 2: The Master Gardeners' Spring Garden Market
- April 1: The Science Fiction Outreach Project tables, and the surroundings at Wondercon in San Francisco
- March 4 through 6: Potlatch 20
- February 26: Maxfield Parrish sunset
- February 20: Atascadero, California, former utopian community of small farmers
- February 18 & 19: Wine tour of Paso Robles
- February 11 through 13: Corflu 28.
- December 9: Pipes. Furnace pipes. Old 2.5 inch iron pipes that carry water and steam around our furnace, a steam boiler that heats our house through a 100-year old radiator system. Need work desperately, but nobody understands steam radiator technology any more.
- August 28 to September 20: Our vacation trip to Australia, including the 2010 Worldcon in Melbourne, shown in short form in two sections: Melbourne to Alice Springs and Uluru to Sydney. Third album, number "C": Trains and boats and planes and machinery and travel vistas. Probably more albums later.
- July 3: San Jose canceled its vastly popular fireworks show this year so that the populace would understand just how tight money was in the city's budget. Karen and I searched for replacements, and found one: the special Independence Day fireworks show at the San Jose Giants (minor league) baseball game on July 3.
- February 8: Every year Brad Templeton hosts a party at which the Superbowl is recorded while we take a hike. On our return, we fast-forward through the game and examine carefully the commercials. The 2010 party was held at the new (still not quite fully open for business) headquarters of the Internet Archive.
- November 3: Jon Singer's visit was the excuse for a trip to exotic grocers and a dinner featuring the results of the search. Gordon Garb came over to help eat.
- November 1: We went to the World Fantasy Convention in San Jose, but I didn't take many pictures. Here are one image of the dealer's room and five of the fantastic cake made for Poe's 200th birthday.
- September 26: We had bees, and arranged with a beekeeper [Mark Small at smallbees.com] to move them to an apiary at his location. The pictures show bees living in an architectural decoration; dead bees which had found their way into the house through the walls; and the man in the bee suit removing the tiles and vacuuming the bees up. There's a closeup of the very large combs, and the confused bees shown huddling together when they can't find the queen. The bees haunted the front of the house for a day and a half, and have now mostly gone away. Click for larger.
- August 20: Mike's photos of our BBQ dinner party for visiting TAFF delegate Steve Green.
- April/May: Karen's photos from Italy
- January 31: A trip to the Farmers Market at Ferry Plaza, SF, and a Stairway Walk. Here.
- November 8: Day of the Doon VI: A party for fans of Bonny Doon Vineyards. Food! Wine! Entertainment! Have I mentioned Wine? The Fire Dancers performed as night came and the Bonny Doon crew cleaned the place up.
- July 4: The "Rose, White, and Blue" Rose Garden District Parade and Festival, celebrating July 4th in a modernized traditional way.
- June 2: A memorial celebration of the life of Steve Cisler, held at Sanborn-Skyline County Park.
- May 8: The introduction and preview presentation of the Babbage Difference Engine #2 at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.
- November 17: A Truffle Dinner (!)
- October 26-28: Mike's photos from ArtCon (Art Widner's 90th Birthday party, and a Ditto). Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Also includes photos from Saturday Dinner at St. Orres, Art's House,
a visit to Bowling Ball Beach, and Picturesque Scenes from Gualala, California, and The Breakers Inn (site of the party/Ditto).
- July 21: A few pictures from our annual Summer Barbecue.
- August 11: Mike's photos from the Survival Research Labs show at the end of the ZeroOne event.
- August 8-11: Mike's photos from the art show, events and displays of the 2006 ZeroOne digital art conference and show in San Jose.
- August 7-8: Mikes's photos from the Pacific Rim New Media Summit (PRNMS)
- July 1-4: Mike's photos from Westercon 59 in San Diego, CA.
- May 26-9: Mike's photos from Wiscon 30, Madison, WI.
- February 19: Mike's photos from a walk through Wilder Ranch State Park, an unusually decorated building lot in Santa Cruz, and the Pacific Coast.
- June: Mike's photos from the Master Gardener's tour of Napa and Sonoma counties, CA.
- May 28-31: Mike's photos from Wiscon 28 in Madison, WI.
- May 23-26: Mike's photos from Wiscon 27 in Madison, WI.
- August 23-4: Mike's photos from Toronto Fan Fair II (de facto NASFiC before there were NASFIC's)
Mike's Genealogy Pages
An experimental page showing "Original Documents" written by and about everyday Americans, in the years before 1850. They're full of unexpected fascination and pathos, fun and sadness; and they're real. Specialist dealers sell these on eBay every day, and one of them might just talk about your family.
An ancestor table [ahnentafel] for Marvin C. Ward (Mike's father)
Genealogical notes on Thomas Benton Short, 1847-1907, of Blue Rapids, Kansas
Genealogical notes on William Johnson, 1806-1887 (?), of Batavia, Illinois, and earlier of somewhere in New York State.
Genealogical Notes On Comfort Ward of Middlefield CT, Champion NY, and Carolina
Contact: mjward usualsymbol hidden-knowledge dot com